What is the Bone augmentation?
Bone augmentation is a surgical procedure performed to restore the missing amount of bone. For bone remodeling part of the bone may be used from the donor site, otherwise, artificial bone substitutes may be used (special bone augmentation material). The procedure is most often performed in the case of bone deficiency, in order to screw in the implant, if the bone is poor and implantation in it is not possible.
Why does the jaw bone disappear?
Due to periodontitis, when the plaque and microorganisms cause infection and damage the tissue around the tooth, the bone melts even before the tooth loss. It also happens in cases of tooth or jaw trauma or tooth fracture.
What do I need to know when preparing for bone augmentation?
For tooth implantation to be successful, you need to make sure that there is the required amount of jaw bone. Bone deficiencies can lead to problems with osseointegration and unsuccessful implantation. Bone extension can also be used to treat periodontal diseases by replacing damaged bone tissue and can protect existing teeth giving them a better support.
In order to perform the bone augmentation procedure, it is necessary to assess the patient’s condition and bone changes. First of all, if necessary, you will have a computerised tomography to evaluate the quality, height and width of the jaw bone. During the procedure, the patient does not feel pain because the treated area is anesthetized.
- Then a surgical incision is made in the gums and they are lifted up from the bone thus providing room for the implant.
- Melted bone areas are covered with bone substitutes, and, if necessary, the bone substitute and implant are covered with a protective membrane.
- Later the gums are put back in the place.
- After the surgery the patient may feel discomfort. Patients are prescribed medications and post-operative recommendations. 7-10 days later threads are removed.
- 3-4 months after the procedure the healing head is screwed on.
- One more week later, prints are taken for prosthetics.
Book an appointment
Before deciding to have a bone augmentation procedure, we strongly advice you to consult with our specialists, who can recommend you the best treatment option that suits to your oral health and situation.